There are various encompassing forms of aromatherapy; however, this overview will only concern itself with the application of aromatherapy treatment through the practice of massage.
What is Aromatherapy?
Aromatherapy is a treatment aimed to have both psychological and physiological effects upon an individual through the practice of massaging organic essential oils onto the body of the recipient. These oils are created from extracts of fruit, flowers, roots, bark, resin, and plants. The resultant oil contains dozens of complex and powerful natural chemicals that encompass a wide range of beneficial and therapeutic properties.
Depending on the specific needs of an individual, which are established through consultation with an aromatherapist, the appropriate essential oils can be selected and then blended with base massage oils, in order to create a mix that is every bit as individual as the recipient to whom the oil is being applied.
Aromatherapists will take a holistic approach to client consultation, ensuring that the treatment a client receives is specifically designed to target their subjective needs.
How does it work?
During an aromatherapy session, the combination of the medicinal and therapeutic qualities of the essential oils delivered through a massage can enable the body to heal itself with the help of the soothing and revitalising effects of absorbing essential oils through the skin, and inhaling the scent and aroma of the oils through the nostrils. The treatment is designed to uplift the spirit, encourage positive thinking and boost the immune system.
What are its effects?
Aromatherapy is completely beneficial, and individuals who undergo an aromatherapy treatment session can enjoy both the psychological and physiological benefits of:
- Promotion of a general state of well-being
- Calming and soothing of the mind
- Reduced nervous tension
- Lifted mood, and alleviated feelings of depression
- Enhanced lymphatic draining, reducing fluid retention and prevents oedema (effusion of serous fluid into the interstices of cells in tissue spaces or into body cavities)
- Induced feeling of relaxation in the body
- Restored balance in the body
- Stimulated, and vastly improved natural immune system
- Increased nutrient and oxygen supply to bodily tissue through vast improvement of blood circulation
- Increased energy levels through the decongestion of nerves